With eggs, peppers and peeled tomatoes, the recipe is ready in less than half an hour.
Shakshuka it’s a simpler recipe than it seems due to the complicated name. With eggs, peppers and peeled tomatoes, the dish is ready in less than half an hour and is a show of flavours. Also, you may have heard of this preparation under other names. Shakshuka is what it’s called in Israel, but in Mexico it’s known as old farmers (farmer’s eggs). Another version is the Italian one eggs in purgatory (Eggs in Purgatory). Whatever the name of the recipe, the truth is that it is delicious and conquers at first bite. To learn how to prepare, check out the ingredients and complete the step-by-step steps below:
Time: 25 minutes Performance: 2 portions Difficulty: easy
- 4 eggs
- 1 can of diced peeled tomatoes (400 g)
- ½ chilli
- ½ onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch of dried chilli
- salt to taste
Method of preparation:
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic
- Wash, dry and cut the pepper in half
- Discard the seeds and cut one of the halves into cubes.
- Reserve the other half for the next recipe.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and then, when hot, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, season with a pinch of salt and saute about 4 minutes, until wilted
- Add the garlic, season with the chilli a little at a time and stir for another minute.
- Lower the heat, add the peeled tomatoes (with the liquid), season with the oregano, salt and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it thickens.
- With a spatula, open four cavities in the sauce.
- Be careful, because this is where the eggs will cook!
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, one at a time, and carefully transfer them to the pan.
- Season each egg with a pinch of salt and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, cover the pan and then simmer for about 3 minutes, until the whites are cooked through and the yolks are soft (Note: If you prefer cooked egg yolks, place the pan in a preheated oven at 180°C to finish cooking)
- Then serve with Italian bread and enjoy your meal!
Source: Panelinha / Instituto do Ovo.